Table of Contents
April 2022 batch
- 12 Cara Cara oranges
- 6 regular peels, zest only
- 6 dried peels, zest only
- 4 cloves
- Seeds from 8 cardamom pods (shells discarded) – from Regan
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon gentian root
- 1/4 teaspoon wild cherry bark
- 1/4 teaspoon cassia
- 1/4 teaspoon quassia
- 1/4 teaspoon cinchona bark
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice berries
- 3 cups Graves 190 proof grain alcohol
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup
Technique: See Brad Parsons Bitters book.
Things to try in future batches
- Use fresh orange juice instead of water for the boil
- Infuse in the sous vide instead of waiting two weeks. Try 130F for two hours.
- Make tinctures of each individual ingredient so we can mix the ingredients individually into a batch to control the flavor. Each ingredient has a different ideal extraction temperature.
Gaz Regan’s orange bitters no 5
Brad Parsons’s Bitters book. Contains an orange bitters recipe