Info for Peekskill, NY
- Last Spring Frost: May 5
- First Fall Frost: Oct 23
- Growing season: 187 days
- Hardiness zone 6b
Seeds to buy:
- Heirloom slicing tomatoes + paste tomatoes
|21 Feb 2022||Sowed Hungarian Blue Breadseed and Icelandic Grey poppies|
|19 Mar 2022||Started seeds indoors:|
Black Hungarian Pepper x2
Vietnamese hot pepper x2
Craig’s Grande Jalapeno x3
Cherokee Purple tomatoes x2
Ten Finger tomatoes x2
Black Vernissage tomatoes x2
Basil (Italian) x2
Basil (Thai sweet) x2
Lacinato Kale x2
Oregano (Greek) x2
|27 Mar 2022||Did maintenance on the elevated beds (leveled, added brackets to support the bottom, loosened the soil, and added compost, soil, and fertilizer. Ready to start planting when the weather warms up.|
|8 Apr 2022||Direct sowed:|
Radishes (French breakfast)
Black eyed susans
Wildflower pollinator blend
|24 Apr 2022||Succession sowed radishes.|
Re-started rosemary, italian basil, thai basil, vietnamese peppers, lemongrass, and celeriac because the neighbor’s dog ate them.
Transplanted ferns and rhubarb.
Planted tulip bulbs.
|11 May 2022||Sowed dill, nasturtium, and potatoes (red and white varieries). Sowed Amaranth.|
|27 May 2022||Sowed Swiss Giant Snow Pea seeds since the other ones didn’t sprout.|
Transplanted tomatoes (Giant Belgium, Cherokee Purple, and Roma – all purchased from the greenhouse because my second round of seeds didn’t grow!), tomatillos, and peppers in the garden.
Transplanted basils in the garden.
|10 June 2022||Sowed Okra, put up tomato cages, and pruned tomatoes.|
|14 Aug 2022||Direct sowed daikon radishes, a new round of Swiss Giant Snow peas and more cilantro.|
What went well
- Wick irrigation for the tomatoes
- Kale, tomatoes, and tomatillos did great
- Mint re-established
- Herb box did really well
What did not
- Peppers were really slow to grow and bloom around here. Weather-related.
- Peas died out quickly due to the high heat. Also planted the second batch too late because the first batch never sprouted.
- Transplants struggled, direct sow did better.
- Cherokee Purple tomatoes all split again. I don’t think I’m planting them anymore.
- Red lipstick peppers
- Vietnamese hot peppers
What went well
- Tomatillos did very well.
- Kale bolted from the year before, but new stalks came up and did well.
- Celeriac did well in the back garden, but not the front.
- Dill grew like a weed.
- Planted mint outside and it seemed to take off.
- Sage came back well.
What did not
- 🍅 Lots of bloom end rot on the tomatoes. We need to add lots of calcium next year from the start.
- Leeks stayed small, will not repeat.
- Red lipstick peppers grew well, but rotted very quickly, most before they turned red. Do they need to be in the box with more sun?
First year of the garden at the new house!
- Carrots (grow bags)
- Tomatoes (grow bags)
- Baby bell peppers
- Mixed greens
- Mini watermelon (grow bags)
- Cilantro – Bolted too fast
- Bee balm
- Lemon verbena