I’m thinking about starting a school for my son and his friends. Early stages. This is a place to gather notes and ideas.
Things to figure out:
- Financials – Can I quit my job to do this?
- Legal nonsense
- More freedom, fewer restrictions.
- Some structure, not completely unschool.
- Grades don’t matter. Optimize for learning and curiosity.
- Introduce core concepts, dive deeper if students are interested.
- Spend lots of time outside.
- Socratic discussion.
Models to check out:
Things to read:
- Ana Fabrega’s newsletter
- Michael Strong’s The Habit of Thought
- The One World Schoolhouse by Sal Khan
- Forest School book in Charlie’s room
- John Taylor Gatto
- Julie Bogart’s Raising Critical Thinkers
- The Sense of Wonder, Rachel Carson
“The most damaging thing you learned in school wasn’t something you learned in any specific class. It was learning to get good grades.”Paul Graham